Monday 24 October 2016

My Top Ten Horror Movies Ever

My Top Eleven Horror Movies (Ever)




It's that time of year again, time for you to dust off your winter coat, perfect your Autumnal make up, drink indecent amounts of Pumpkin Spice Latter. And of course, Halloween, I love Halloween, perhaps even more than I love Christmas. I love being scared, and dressing up and watching scary movies and of course I wouldn't be a bookworm if I didn't read a ton of scary books.
Credit: Classichorrorblog

 It was so difficult to pick just ten horror films but I feel like I made the right choice.

Obviously, this is all subjective and you may have your own favorites these are the ones that made me bite my nails, creeped me out or caused a nice bout of insomnia! Please feel free to recommend your favorite movies, because I'm always open to watching new scary films!


The Witch


The Witch is a deeply disturbing and unsettling historical horror about a Puritan family being tormented by evil forces (witches) that live in the woods around their farm. Set in New England, this film really knows how to make your skin crawl. A tense, masterful horror with a slow, but horrifying build up. One of the very few films that succeeded in scaring the crap out of me!

Friday the 13th 

Credit: Wikipedia


This has got to be one of the best horror movies in modern history. Hailed as a classic, this is one of the best slasher films on the market. It never failed to keep me on the edge of my seat. No matter how many times I watch it, it always scares the bejeesus out of me.

Dark Skies

Credit: IMDB

I remember finding this film on Netflix on a long, rainy day off of work. I don't watch many alien films but the whole premise of this film intrigued me. It doesn't rely too heavily on jump scares, although there was a part that made me scream out loud, which in turn made my sister scream out loud. It has the right balance of creepy and horrifying with an original storyline to boot. Highly, recommend.

Credit: GIPHY

Annabelle

Credit: IMDb


So usually, I tend to avoid films with creepy dolls as 99.9% of the time I end up being bitterly disappointed by it. This one, however, is based on a true story. Its tense, dark atmosphere only heightens the fear the viewer has creeping down the back of their neck. I watched this behind a pillow the whole time!


Credit: GIPHY


13 Ghosts

Credit: IMDb

I was first introduced to this as a child (sevenish?) and it absolutely terrified me. There was just something so disturbing and actually sad in places about it. It isn't afraid to mess with your head and doesn't rely on cheap gore or jump scares.

Nightmare on Elm Street


Credit: IMDb
So this is a film that today has the rare ability to frighten. I mean, come on how can you get as terrifying as an evil psychopath that kills kids in their dreams. I remember watching this for the first time when I was thirteen and not being able to sleep for weeks. My mum wanted to murder my brother (who admittedly is a bit sadistic) for letting me watch it. You can always mark a director's ability by a film that still scares you years later.

Credit: IMDb

I've only seen this film once, but it has further cemented my resolve to stay away from creepy, abandoned psychiatric hospitals. The fact that it's found footage really resonates with me and make it seem as if it's really happened!

Hush

Credit: IMDb
This one really relies on your senses. As you follow the protagonist who is deaf, being stalked by a murderous loony. You can really feel the stomach-turning fear feels and I honestly think I would die of terror if that was me.This is a deeply psychological thriller/slash horror that relies on the humans ability to put the picture together.

The Babadook



Credit: IMDb
This is most definitely my favorite horror film - possibly ever- I think it tells a real story that is as breathtaking as it is terrifying.  It's one of them films that instantly become a classic, in my eyes anyway. If I had to recommend any of the films on the list it would be this one.

Let Me In

Credit: IMDb

Forget sparkly vampires. This is a real tale of real, bloodthirsty vampires with a heartbreaking back story. If you want a bit more depth to a horror movie then you've really got it made. Honestly, I could go into more detail but It's really one you need to watch for yourself.

Housebound


Credit: Google Image Search
I was actually really surprised with this one. But it might be something to do with the humor injected throughout which made it awesome. If you know me, I love things that can creep me out and make me laugh. Combine them and I'll love them! Go, check it out!

Reason to be cheerful #2: Pumpkin Spice Latte








No comments:

Post a Comment